Friday, January 1, 2021

Gifts

“There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.” ― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah  

 I've probably used this Bach quote more than any other. It's THAT important to the journey. And it goes directly to the one thing we often forget we have, but guides every single thing we do: choices.

On the first day after what can only be described as a hellish year, people around the plane are making choices. Becoming healthier, finding a new job, breaking out of bad relationships. All admirable goals, but we made choices that got us there as well. Even if the choice was to do nothing differently, it was still a choice. Often the easiest way to put ourselves in a situation we want to change is to simply not act.

I admit, I'm a pretty complacent person.My career choice exists around change, so I am not a fan of doing things that are not routine. It can get boring sometimes, but it's calming. Until I realize calm also becomes boring. Reaching the end of the internet every night, reading 250 books a year. Not much "achievement: unlocked" reward there. But until I decide to do something about it, I'll be in repeat mode.

And that has to change.

I think I'm back to writing more often, instead of just when my head gets too full. I need to spill my thoughts when I have them, not on some scheduled dump when I get angry or motivated. Okay, mostly when I get angry. And usually at my stupid self.

Thanks for continuing to drop tokens into this ride machine of a blog. I'll try and live up to expectation. And mine are higher than yours, so you get to watch me squirm when I make a bad choice. Or none at all. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment