Thursday, April 21, 2016

Sorry I'm late....


Richard says to Shimoda, upon their first meeting. In response to "I've been waiting for you." Interesting start for two guys seeing each other in a cornfield, never having met before. Little did Richard know what he was in for, and that he arrived just in time.

They didn't find each other by chance. Three bucks for ten minutes in the air, they hawked biplane rides over bright green fields, over the family farm where Mom waved from the front porch, past town as it were (population 200.) No way did they happen upon the same field at the same time. Richard had things to learn, and Shimoda was indeed a teacher. A Master, it seems. He even came with instructions. The Messiah's Handbook: Reminders For The Advanced Soul. And it was magical. It was destiny.
                                                                                             

Who doesn't love a good adventure? Spending time with a new friend, doing something you have in common. Freedom to work as much or as little as you want, eat when you like, sleep half the day even. Having worked hard, we deserve to play hard as well. But even during the downtime, there are things to be learned. Don't forget the sunscreen. Make sure you have a change of clothes, just in case. (My gramma always said clean underwear, but you get the idea.) And always take time to smell the roses. Or the fresh cut grass.

When we take our breaks from life, our moods change. We don't realize we are still learning, it becomes less like work and more like fun. We might just be camping in the backyard with the kids because we can't afford a real vacation, but learning the names of the constellations we see looking in the night sky? That's a double good experience. That quick day trip to the beach seems simple, but when we watch the dolphins play in the surf, and see the gulls at feeding time flying their distinctive patterns based on hierarchy... yep, that was learning too.

The "Sorry, I'm late" is an apology from me, of sorts. I thought I was ready to teach you awhile back, but I found myself lacking. I wasn't quite up to the task, I still had a bit more to learn about myself. I know you've been waiting, even if you didn't know it. Heck, I didn't even realize I was supposed to teach you anything. We seem to be finding out things together. Almost like it's.... destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment