Thursday, January 8, 2015

Clinging

Day 121. Clinging.

We take comfort in what we know best. Routine things bring us joy: Friday night is always pizza night, Wednesdays we go bowling, always putting ketchup on our scrambled eggs. Fine things they are, habits. But we often become blinded to anything new, and resist our instinct to gain experience from new adventures.

But one creature said at last, "I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom. Richard Bach, Illusions.

The risk of something bad happening is slim. And if you've been following along these past 100+ days, you know that you're in charge of your own outcome anyway, and won't be surprised at whatever happens. I'm not saying you should try skydiving. Or even regular diving. Just don't sit there and wait for things to happen. Unless you're willing to let go of Friday night pizza, you might never realize how much you like sushi. If you never try your eggs with salsa, how will you ever be inspired to grow your own tomatoes?

I'm actually not one to talk about breaking routines, I'm still working on living some of my dreams. I have started writing music again, and looked at a few guitars online already. I'm letting my fingernails grow (big deal for me, I never ever wanted pretty nails.) I did already expand my wardrobe to include something besides jeans and purple tops.

I guess refusal to try new things is about trust. And for the most part, we don't trust ourselves. Really, why should we? We're the ones that got ourselves into this mess to begin with, why would we risk more of the same? Because that's how we learn. And we are all teachers, we just have to accept that we can teach ourselves.

Lesson One Hundred Twenty One: It's okay to let your hair down and do something different. Nothing happens if you don't try. Well, that is what happens, actually. Nothing.


609 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment