Monday, January 9, 2017

Control

“The world is your exercise book, the pages on which you do your sums. It is not reality, though you may express reality there if you wish. You are also free to write lies, or nonsense, or to tear the pages.”  ― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Control. Do we really have it, or do we just think we do? Are we really in charge of our own lives, or is God sitting on high watching us screw things up? Can we expect to get a swift kick in the ass when He sees us running with scissors? I think not. We have free will, which allows and even encourages us to choose our own way.

It's dangerous business. Live too wild, you risk much. Physical injury, loss of income, others question our judgment and lose respect. There's a balance between being the craziest person everyone knows, and a fun-loving friend who always lives on the edge. Your work can suffer, your romantic life may not even exist, and you might find yourself alone when you're fifty because everyone else settled down and you kept running through the red lights. 

I'm..... not a huge risk taker. I don't even buy scratch-off lottery tickets. I have a dollar in my hand, I'll still have a dollar when your ticket doesn't win. I only know one person who hit it big, and that was 20+ years ago. The odds are NOT in your favour. I've sky-dived, which is probably the biggest adventure in my life so far. Still have lots of places to see and things to do on my bucket list, but risking life and limb isn't part of my plan.


I will continue to make people think. And laugh. Two of my finer qualities, actually of my few redeeming ones. I'm rather stubborn, I don't share well, and I have been known to speak my mind regardless of the outcome. I believe making people think is a positive thing: stagnant minds are a waste, use that brain to change your path. Don't forget to wear clean underwear, just in case. 

I'm glad you're following my journey. Wherever it takes us both, I hope to make it worth the blisters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment