Saturday, October 11, 2014

Faith

Day 30. Faith.

This week, we've talked about some emotional subjects. Broken families, seeming beyond repair. Devastating illness, hopeless outcome. The one thing they have in common: Faith. If you have none, you resign yourself to what happens in your life. If you have a little, you pray that things will improve. If you have lots, you know God is in control and the outcome is in His hands. All three require you to consider Faith.

I never quite understood people who say they are atheists, non-believers. I think it's arrogant to believe that we humans just happen to become the sentient beings we are today by pure luck. I can't imagine living without the knowledge that someone greater than me is looking out for His creation. The security in times of fear, the comfort in His house, the energy He provides when thins seem their darkest. What hollowness must one feel who does not believe, for surely they know the meaning of "alone."

I've tried to learn about religions other than Christianity. I've got Jewish friends, Mormon friends, Muslim friends. All of us share that common believe in a supreme being, even with different names for Him. We all believe that our sins can be forgiven, and He will accept us into His everlasting kingdom. That knowledge is a source of comfort for billions around the world. It can also be a source of violence and hate, which is surely not His intention. Those are perversions of His message, which is one of love, tolerance, and forgiveness.

A story was told at Kathie's memorial service, by a minister who never met her. I've told it before to some, but I think it's important enough to hear again. It's a message of hope, for those with faith and those without.

A beloved man lay on his deathbed, surrounded by his family. A wife, two daughters and a son. He spoke to them one last time. "Good night, wife. Good night, eldest daughter. Good night, son. Goodbye, youngest daughter." 

"Daddy, wait!" the youngest cried out. "Why did you tell them Good Night and tell me Goodbye? Why, Daddy?"

"Daughter, I will see the three of them someday. They have given their hearts to Christ and we will be reunited in Heaven. So this is just Good Night. You haven't found Jesus, and without accepting him as your Savior, we won't see each other again. So this is Goodbye."

I believe in my heart that we all have the chance to join our loved ones again in Heaven. It's what gets me though some of my worst days. That light of hope beckons me to stay strong until it's my turn. That's called Faith. I wish nothing less for all of you.


Lesson Thirty: Think about your life, your loved ones. Will you say Good Night, or Goodbye?

700 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment