Monday, October 6, 2014

Unfinished Business

Day 25...

All this talk about limitations and dreams got me to thinking about the things we thought we wanted to do but never did. Things we might've even forgotten about, from our youth. Stuff that seemed important at the time, but as life kicked in, we let it go.

I've mentioned I wanted to learn guitar FOR REAL this time. I piddled with it as a teen, having dated a guitar player for 6 years. I messed around learning again in my twenties, when I was writing songs. Now it's been 25 years or more, and I feel the need to finally do it. First thing I gotta do is buy a new one... I really don't remember what happened to my last one. Nothing expensive, but something sturdy. If I buy something cheap that breaks, I'll use that as a reason to stop. And I mean to learn this time, so no excuses.

I fulfilled a lot of the little things I wanted to do. I've been published. I've been recorded. I've sold a few photographs. I need to do more of all three. This blog is a kicking off point for me, to get me used to writing again on a daily basis. I've got some lyrics in my head for a new tune, the guitar will help tweak that for me. And I need to break out the camera again.

I still have quite a list to accomplish. I want to go skydiving again. I really loved that, but only went once. I want to start flying again. Might check out the little FBO at the airport here, see if they have a need for some paperwork shuffling in exchange for some ride-alongs. Not interesting in getting a pilot's license, but I love being in the air. Wonder if my pals at Richard Childress Aviation could hook me up in his helicopter? Those are my favorite.

I also want to start cooking for real again. I used to cater a bit, bridal showers and the like. LOVE making fancy little bits for special occasions. I don't do the decoration part, but I can seriously cook. I might have to practice on my work friends, and the family.

I need to work on my painting, and I miss working with charcoal. too. And needlework. And scrapbooking. I have plenty of supplies, but not much has been done with them.

All these things were important to me at one time or another. But as a parent, and a spouse, I had to prioritize. The things that fell the the ground back then? I can pick them up again now. I've only got me to look out for, well, and the animals. They don't care, as long as they have food and get to run around a bit. I'm going to try my damnedest to so things for ME now. Which means all of you get to endure it. And reap the rewards.

Lesson Twenty Five: Did you put things aside as your adult life got busy? Was there a hobby, or interest you stopped when your life got full of obligations? Think about the things that make YOU happy, and see if you can fit them back into your life.

705 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment