Friday, October 10, 2014

More

Day 29: More.

I've thought about yesterday's post on Grace a lot today. I questioned myself. I wondered if I was too harsh. After all, it's her life. Who am I to question her decision? As I turned that over and over in my mind, I realized there's a reason I was fighting so hard in my argument for life. Because there's always more.

Giving up when things are rotten is almost a coward's way out. I hesitate to call someone a coward that I don't know personally, but for me I think it would be a chicken move. Life is short enough as it is, why would anyone give up early? I try to remember that God has that planned as well, and that there's some lesson for us to learn. I'm hoping I've figured it out.

I think the lesson might be to teach us that we shouldn't do the same thing. We shouldn't give up when the going gets rough. When faced with challenges that seem greater than we can meet, we are supposed to pick ourselves up, put on our big girl panties, and keep fighting. Brain cancer that will debilitate us in months? We should get out of bed, put some makeup on, and go shopping for something to make us happy. It's not denial, it's just moving on with our lives. Divorce? Let's get our drink and our dancing shoes on, and make new connections.

There are things in life that you can never truly recover from: I've had two. The loss of a child, and a spouse. But I didn't stop living. I still have another child, and if I found one person that could tolerate me for twenty years, I might can find another. I didn't stop loving my son, and I've got love to give another man. I guess? I really don't know where that road leads, but I'm hoping to have some fun along the way to whatever the end of that path might be.

I think another lesson God is teaching us (well, me at least) is that we can't sit quietly in the corner and accept what is happening to us. I believe I have found my voice again, writing this blog. I feel empowered when I can discuss my take on things, and hopeful that people reading my words feel it, too. I don't want to be the person that just gives up on life, I want to be the example of how to get on with life. Because there's more. More happiness, more good times, more love. It's right there, we just have to reach for it.

Lesson Twenty Nine: Do you recover well from bad events in your own life? Do you believe you have the power to go on, with the help of friends, family and God? Is there something that has stood in your way for too long that you just can't get past? Think about how you can improve your life by standing tall and fighting for another day. Fighting for more.

701 to go...

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Life is too precious, too short, even without brain cancer. My heart aches for her.

    ReplyDelete