Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day 20

Day 20

Gee, I wonder if the title of my extra post last night got the extra attention or what??? you people are so easy.... Back to learning about... life, I guess it is we're learning about. Technically I could count the BOOBS post as a lesson, as it's something I believe in strongly. But I'll just start fresh today, using that as a starting point.

From Illusions: Argue your limitations and soon enough, they're yours. By using adjectives, subscriptions, etc. to describe each other or groups of people, we unknowingly define them. We limit them to the expectations of our statement.

Hillary Clinton (spit) and her "glass ceiling" line... not one of the greatest moments in feminist history, in my opinion. She basically said that women have been held back since the beginning of time and finally have a chance to "break through." Really? Hsn't the opportunity always been there for women to succeed? She might've climbed higher towards the goal she was after, but what stopped anyone from trying before her? Did they accept their limitations by saying "oh, I can't do it, it's never been done before"?

I'm actually not a big fan of "firsts." Someone always has to define the person accomplishing something as "the first Latino" or "the first Harvard graduate"... so? Why can't we just say "the first person to swim the English channel" and stop there? does it really matter so much to accomplish something that we must have a "first" for every category? "First white woman from Lexington to write a silly blog"... yeah, that's me. Woohoo, I'm so proud. Please.

I believe people do this because they can't just be proud someone accomplished something, but think the person needs to be given some special recognition since they weren't "first". Even if the attention is unwanted. So rarely do we see anyone step up and say "I'm just glad I was able to finish the challenge, it doesn't matter that I'm black/female/handicapped." We should celebrate all achievements equally. Dividing us into catergories only makes us weaker.

Lesson 20: Are you proud of your accomplishments? Do you celebrate them quietly, not caring that the world notices? Have you ever given up on something because you didn't think it was possible because of your age, your sex? Do you regret not trying things that you were told weren't achieveable? Think about what you've missed by allowing your own limitations to define you. Don't let it happen again, please.

710 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment