Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Celebrations

Day 54: Celebrations.

Who doesn't love a good party? In spite of my Capricorn nature (I'm a wallflower?!?) I love a good party. I really enjoy being the life of the party. I try to make everyone feel welcome if I'm the hostess, and if I'm just a guest I try to make the rounds and meet everyone. I can be a dancing fool sometimes if the music is right, but never quite been drunk enough to sing in public. No reason not to celebrate every chance we get, life's too short to miss out.

Holidays are always good times. Company Christmas parties, LOVE THEM. Even if they do get a bit out of hand sometimes. My first aviation employer had some of those. We actually got asked not to come back to the Adams Mark in Charlotte after one particularly wild one. I think the water gun fight on the 7th floor would've been okay, if only people hadn't stripped to their underwear. Aviation people are pretty wild, I guess that's why I fit in.

Other holiday festivities are family gatherings. FOOD, oh my, the food. My Aunt Nell makes some awesome stuff, I'm a pretty decent cook too, so we can put together a feast. Nothing like hanging out at the dining room table all afternoon, back and forth to the kitchen, nibbling and laughing between bites. We had some kinda crazy ones when I was a kid, due to the one nutty parent, but it was still always good food. Can't wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas, SOON.

Fun times for Memorial Day weekend usually included racing at Charlotte. Camped in the infield for a number of years, but dang, I like to sleep and them drunk fool Earnhardt fans just won't settle down. Nothing worse than the year the Budweiser Frogs were popular, that stupid "WASSUP???" saying went on for HOURS. I wanted to strangle someone. Not the same since they went PC and quit having the wagon races, but the Ridges and their famous taters are still there every May.

I'm not a fan of my own birthday much, kinda old to be having a party really. But I like acknowledging others birthdays. That's why today's blog is about celebrations. Today would've been Dave's 52nd birthday. He hated celebrations for the most part, so birthdays weren't a big deal. He liked to party, a bit too much sometimes, but didn't want the party for himself. I would've made a special dinner, that's about as wild as it got for us. I'd like to think he knows what I'm writing about, and would be glad I didn't make a really big deal about it.

Today I will celebrate a life well lived. A life well loved. A life too short by mortal measurement, yet long when good things are laid end to end. This tune says it well.

Lesson Fifty Four: Do you see the joy in everyday life? Do you understand how important every day is?Celebrate even the small things, for they too are precious.

676 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment