Saturday, November 15, 2014

Scars

Day 67. Scars.

One of my favorite songs is Glass, by Thompson Square. One of the verses speaks very loudly to me. Almost like they see my life, past and present. Like they can see my scars.

I'll let you look inside me, through the stains and through the cracks,
And in the darkness of this moment,
You see the good and bad.
But try not to judge me, 'cause we've walked down different paths,
But it brought us here together, so I won't take that back.


I'm proud of my scars. They mean I went through some crap and survived. That I can take the bad stuff but still remain standing. Beaten, bruised, but not broken.  I'm learning a lesson about that, from someone who listens without judging me. Someone who I've found to be very easy to talk to, who doesn't think I'm crazy, or weird, or foolish. All they do is listen. I realize now that by doing that, they are also teaching me.

I've talked about my childhood before, I've talked about relationships gone bad. I've lost loved ones that I still miss every day, but I shouldn't be thinking about that. I should be thinking about what I've gained. My scars shouldn't represent bad memories. They should be inspirations, signs that I can overcome things that would reduce many people to puddles of mush. I really don't need to be afraid to share my stories, but I need to focus on the positive things that have come from them.

I've learned that to love someone unconditionally is the only real way to love anyone, including yourself. I figured out that once love is gone, holding onto what used to be might seem foolish but sometimes its all you can do. I realized that sometimes the only thing that keeps us going is memories of the good times, and sometimes that's enough. I found out love is not limited to just one person or just one lifetime, that you can find it over and over again.

I see now, looking back through the prism of my life, that everything you do, everyone you know, everything you are, leads you to the next thing, the next person, the next you. The events of your life, the people you draw into that life, the changes you make in yourself: they are all part of the plan to create YOU.

What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly. Yes, Richard Bach. We hear you. Loud and clear.

Lesson Sixty Seven: Do you love yourself? Do you think you have become a better person because of the events that shaped your life? Think about how angry you get when bad things happen, or you make bad choices. Those scars you have? It's where you kept pulling off your wings. Give them a chance to grow, you just might like flying.

663 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment