Monday, November 17, 2014

Flying

Day 69. Flying.

I mentioned that Illusions is only one of Richard Bach's novels. Most of us read his first back in junior high. We probably have no idea now what he was talking about back then, but it's not much different than his other books. He was talking about self-realization.

We choose our next world through what we learn in this one. Learn nothing, and the next world is the same as this one, all the same limitations and lead weights to overcome. from Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

I'm a believer in that we live many lifetimes. I think we are given the same chances over and over, repeating lives until we get them right. Our mistakes follow us from one to the other, unless we learn from them, which I'm fairly certain doesn't happen after just one. We get so focused on one thing or the other, we miss the chances for happiness. So we get a do-over. Just have to wait until the next lifetime to take that wheel. 


I know I've learned more about what not to do than what to do. I've learned not to go to bed angry, never hang up the phone without saying "I love you," and don't ever miss a chance to hug someone you love. I know that walking out on someone is bad idea, always getting in the last word might indeed be your last word to someone, and letting go of something you love is harder than anything you'll do.

The lessons of the past are meant to stop the mistakes of the future. I know I do not want to spend any more time grieving, any more nights lonely, any more days wondering where I'm going. I wish I hadn't wasted the time I have on any of that, but now I know. I had to learn the hard way, but I won't let it happen again. I'll make other mistakes, but not those. I refuse to accept the limitations they place on my freedom, and won't be held down by the weight of their burden.

I remember one of the most important parts of "Seagull": he learns that flying is the most important thing. Flying, for Jonathan, is everything. More than food, more than family, flying is life. As it should be with humans. Remember, Richard taught us about freedom, that we are free to do anything we want to do.

Lesson Sixty Nine: Do you bear unnecessary burdens from your past? Are there things/people that you can't seem to shed, even if you know you need to? Think about how you can make your next life better by learning from this one.  Learn to fly.

691 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment