Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Habits

Day 55. Habits.

Good or bad, we all have them. I'm sure I have more than my share, possibly even borderline OCD sometimes. Most of them are things we can live with in others, but some require further consideration. Some affect our health, our finances, our peace of mind. Some go from habits to addictions.

Probably my worst is... profanity. I just can't quit it. I am much better and know when "not" to cuss, but my regular speech is... exciting. You never quite know what I might say, heck I don't even know half the time. Putting me on speakerphone is a really bad idea. It normally doesn't happen more than once with someone. I did read a study last year that said it's actually a stress relief. I must have WAY more stress than I realize.

I also count steps. To and from everywhere. I know it's 8 steps from my usual side of the bed to the bathroom, three more to the toilet. Fifteen to the kitchen, another fifteen to the front door. 154 from the front door to the mailbox. You get the picture. I at least have a fairly good reason for it. I figure if I go blind, I have a pretty good chance at finding things. Unless I take a wrong turn outside: a right instead of a left and I'm in the weird neighbors pool. Yikes.

I also alphabetize things. Books. By author, then by series if there is one, or just alphabetical by title after that. DVDs, series go together but otherwise alphabetical. Canned foods. Baked beans in front of green beans in front of navy beans, etc. Another "if I go blind," things, I can still find the right food.

I tend to use the "..." dramatic pause on the internet a lot. It probably annoys people, but... I can't help it. I also use a lot of emoticons. Again, sorry. I can't help it.

I don't really have addictions anymore. I could get used to drinking... again. I had plenty of practice as that back in the day. Aviation probably saved me from it, as I had to be clean for random alcohol tests. Weekends? Look out. I never smoked, never even lit a cigarette for anyone. Two parents that smoked like a GE power plant fixed that one.

So I think my bad habits are pretty harmless to others. My big mouth hasn't gotten my ass beat in many years, so I'm feeling pretty spunky most of the time. Hopefully no one decides to shank me over the pauses and smiley faces.

Day Fifty Five: Are your habits bad for you, or do you include others? Do you leave your dirty socks in the floor just to hear someone complain? Think about the things you do out of habit, and make sure you are just being weird and not causing damage. We need you around as long as possible.

685 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment