Saturday, November 22, 2014

Futures

Day 75. Futures.

Life is much more when we're having fun. When we're gathered with friends and family, laughing, reminiscing about old times, making plans for the future. It's always better when we can let our hair down and just be ourselves. But we can't forget we're still on a mission, a trip through this thing called life, and we have to move forward.

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them. Richard Bach: Illusions.

Being myself would have to include humor. I'm always more comfortable making others laugh, even at my own expense. Humor has always been my "go to". When I'm feeling uncomfortable or awkward, I can lighten the mood by picking on myself. That almost guarantees a laugh. The problem with that is more often than not, I'm not really kidding. Which makes it even more humorous. When I'm feeling really comfortable with someone, I'll dial back the humor a bit. I never lose it completely, but it'll be a little less obvious, more directed than random. That's how you can tell when I'm serious, when I stop making smartass remarks.

I learn from humor as well. I learn that people are way too serious about their own lives, and should have more fun. I learn that when people get bogged down in the day to day and don't look up, they trip over their own feet. You can't see the sunrise if you're looking at the floor, and I sure don't want to miss a thing.

Part of my inner self is giving to others. I always try and think of other people before myself, and make sure their needs are met before my own. I'm pretty low maintenance, it doesn't take much to make me happy. A good book or movie, some music, a glass of wine, a good meal, I'm good. Don't get me wrong, I like a night on the town, but its far from necessary. Making someone's favorite foods, watching an old movie and cuddling on the couch, that's my kind of heaven.

I can learn from that experience as well. I know that many people in this world are selfish, and as long as they get what they want, nothing else matters. Others be damned, as long as their needs are met, life is as it should be. I wouldn't be content to let that happen, since I'm pretty much the opposite: making others happy is what makes me happy. The blinders that selfish people wear keep them from seeing the same sunrise I rejoice at.

Have you ever felt so at one with the world, with the universe, with everything that is, that you were overcome with love? That is reality. That is the truth. What we make of it is up to us, as the painting of the sunrise is up to the artist. In our world humanity has strayed from that love. It lives hatred and power struggles and manipulations of the earth itself for its own narrow reasons. Continue and no one will see the sunrise. The sunrise will always exist, of course, but people on earth will know nothing of it and finally even stories of its beauty will fade from our knowing. Richard Bach: One.

Lesson Seventy Five: Do you sit by and let yourself be convinced that this is all there is to life? Are you willing to sacrifice your inner self to make sure things don't go wrong? Think about the choices you make, the masks you wear. Realize that you have be able to see the sunrise to truly live the new day.

655 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment