Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 13

Day 13...

After a frustating half hour getting Blogger to work, here I am.... Usually I'm done writing by now, hopefully I'm not punch drunk and this makes sense... well, as much as I ever do.

More about friends and freaks today, from more current times.

Real life friends and neighbors, I've had some champs. Not many duds. Myron and Tim, man I miss the times with those guys. We spent many nights at the dirt track in Taylorsville watching Myron be the cheese in the sandwich in turn three. Lots of laughs at Waffle House afterwards, and on weekends when we didn't go racing we had food and played poker at the house. Red Dog Beer, with the cool sayings under the caps, and if you found a new one the bets were on! I was doing some catering back then, so I always had really high class snacks for my low class friends. An ex-wfe or two made things crappy sometimes, but the smoked shrimps and laughing at Tim's mom's dog PeeWee carrying around Tim's drawers from the laundry basket made it fun.

I've been lucky to find a great job outside the aviation field, and great people to go with it. People that are oddly amused by my humor, they still laugh at my jokes after five years. They've also seen me through bad times, and I am grateful for that. We've had some fun times: going out for food and drinks in the hopping town of Lexington, I won't mention who's nickname became Baby Bladder after he went to the bathroom every half hour on one occasion. The haunted trail from HELL back in 2012, there were a few of us that were a little..... tipsy. When you end up with dirty hands, stained knees and a rip in your jeans, you know it was a wild time on the trail. Tequila is our friend though, right?

Then there's the internet friends. My first internet adventures were on the old style bulletin boards and forums. Nascar fans are the best. I made friends with a group of fellow Mr. Excitement Jimmy Spencer fans back in the late 90s, and there's a good sized group of us still together. We had a nice meetup in Bristol, met again in Charlotte. Went on vacation to PA to visit my late friend Mark VG, met even more of the group and had a blast with our friend Redbird. Trout farm my friends Joan and Strap work at was gorgeous, and right near where I spent time as a kid.

During the camping event in Charlotte I did find out that people with money can be jerks, and you only think you heard the worst karoke in the world: we did that Saturday night, unless you were in the same campground as us, you missed the worst ever. And my friend Belinda will do ANYTHING for me, she dressed up as a fairy and let me take her picture. It was the costume for Skurt Busch, our cardboard mascot. We all hated him, you see, so we mocked him. Lots of pics of all of us at various racetracks flipping off his hauler. I even got Jimmy to sign him once. We were on tv on Nascar Raceday a number of times with him, thanks to our pal Rutledge Woods.

Political friends met on the internet ROCK. Had the chance to meet two groups already, looking forward to more. Excellent times, good memories. Now if someone will just listen to us and straighten the country out, it'll be all good....

Lesson Thirteen: The older memories become, the more you realize just how much fun life is. Think back on recent memories, and you get smiles. Older ones, belly laughs. Do you miss friends you've lost touch with? Why don't you try and find one? Social media, baby. Look for someone you didn't realize you missed until we started this journey. Make sure it's not the crazy lady who wore pantyhose under her shorts to a Nascar race in August, though. Yikes.

717 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment