Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 5

Day 5...

Another day, another lesson. Hope you're enjoying our time, I know I am. I'm trying to approach this by teaching you the way I learned, through personal experiences. Let me know if its working. :)

Let's talk about the events in your life. The ones you have drawn to you, that are in your life because you chose them.

I look back over my half century plus two years, and for the most part smile. I've had some craptastic things happen that put me on my knees, and I've had some wonderful things happen that lifted my heart. All in all, the good does outnumber the bad.

I was there when my daughter took her first breath, and I held mine when I got the news of her death. The times between them? Immeasurable joy. I choose to remember her last phone call, giggling about giving some puppies a bath. I choose to remember her coming home from work at The Landing smelling like french fries. I choose to remember that leopard skin rug she just HAD to have for her room, and protecting it with her bare hands when her BFF Sheena had a bad wine cooler episode. I choose to remember her big hazel eyes that were full of mischief, some of which we never caught her at, I'm sure. Those are the great events I chose. I think I chose well.

My teenage years were.... interesting. In spite of being a really good student, I was also a pretty heavy drinker. Not something most of my family knew, I doubt they even suspected. I had plenty of "events" related to that, including skinny-dipping at the lake and getting caught be the game warden, who threatened to arrest us since three of us were over 18. High school friends pushing the dress code, wearing our "Right in The Nuts/Night in The Ruts" Aerosmith t-shirts after the concert. Awesome events. Awesome memories. I haven't seen most of them for over a decade, but I remember.

The middle of my life was full of fun. Working for an airline, I got to travel a bit. I saw a lot of the country for very little money. Something I never could have done otherwise. I saw Prince at a club in Minneapolis, was awed by the meeting of night sky and lake as I flew over Lake Michigan at midnight, partied with my friends Robin and Cindy at Mama Doris' house on the lake and had MANY an excellent meal. Even the one where Avery ate the shrimp tails in the fajitas. More fun events, shared with friends.

From Illusions: Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.

 Lesson Five: Think back on the events in your life. Do you realize how many good times you actually had? Or have the bad times you drew into your life made you sad? Do you realize that you are the master of your own happiness? You will have choices to make, and which path you choose is entirely up to you. Be prepared to face the joy and pain they bring you in equal manner: they are both important in who you become.


725 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment