Saturday, September 13, 2014

Day 2

Your mission, should you choose to accept it.... well, you sort of already did that, by even  knowing to be here reading this. So let's get this thing started...

The only way I know to teach is by example. So I'll show you my mistakes, and you try not to make the same ones. It's okay if you do, I've made some of them over and over myself. The important thing is to never give up, even when you get kicked down. Or when you throw yourself to the ground. Or when you find yourself hanging by a thread. Don't quit. Ever.

From Illusions: Every person, all the events of your life, are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you.

I've been some dark places in life. But for each of those, I've climbed an equal mountain. I've soared with joy at the birth of my kids, I drowned myself with the pain of losing one of them. I've been made to feel like a family member by most of my friends, and I've cried at the loss of beloved grandparents. I've mourned the loss of special men I thought I'd spend forever with, yet my heart is full of hope that somewhere, magic waits for me.

I never wanted any of those things. I never expected anything from life. I realized the good things were gifts. I never knew the soaring of my heart hearing my daughter giggle about giving some puppies a bath would be the last time I heard her laugh. I wasn't sure I'd have the chance to reconcile with my grandparents after family crap got in the way for years, but I did. I certainly didn't expect to be cooking for one at this point in my life, yet there in my freezer is plenty of tasty frozen pizza.

I also realize the bad things are gifts. I wouldn't have the open heart and mind that I value so much if I hadn't been hurt by life. You can't know love without knowing pain. The abuse, the loneliness, the loss. All those things formed me

What did I choose to do with the people in my life? I chose to love them. Well, most of them. The toxic ones, I chose to get the heck away from as soon as I could. I sure didn't know I was drawing them to me. I reckon I needed a shower more often than I realized. But without both the people I love and the ones I didn't, I wouldn't be who I am.

Lesson One: Think about who you have chosen to be in your life. Think about the events that have shaped your life. Did you make good choices? Is there still time to change your mind? Do you need to move past relationships, things that have grown cold? Do you need to get out more, experience things?

Only you can answer those questions, and there are no right or wrong answers. I found mine over the last couple decades. Some little late, but hey, I'm kinda new at this.

728 days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment