Sunday, September 28, 2014

Day 17

Day 17...

This would normally be a lazy Sunday morning, but I'm inspired to write so here we go...

Stirred up about politics overnight, I've been thinking about what motivates people to do the things they do, say the things they say, act the way they do.

There's quite the ruckus this weekend about commentary made on an afternoon talk show by two Conservative men (who are actually both Libertarians), where they have been accused of (not in my opinion) degrading women. Even though they have both since apologized (unnecessarily in my opinion), there's still plenty of vitriol against them both. I don't get the whole fuss about it.

Since when did we start to care so much about what someone on television said? These guys are both media personalities: one is a financial advisor/investment banker type, the other is an early morning show host that happens to be one of the most sarcastically funny guys on the planet. They aren't running for any office. They aren't endorsing any candidates. They don't control any funding groups. They get paid to talk about things on television. I'd hate to GUESS what I'd say and how I'd be maligned and run off the screen.

The whole dust-up got me thinking about why we get upset at what others say. "Sticks and stones" was one of the first lessons we learn as children. Have we forgotten those teachings so quickly? And for that matter, they weren't talking about any of us. Who are we to be offended at what someone said about someone else? Shouldn't that right be reserved to the actual "victim" as it were? Why do we need to rush to their aid, crying foul and threatening to remove our loyalty from the political party they support (which in this case is being nothing short of dramatic, see my statement about them being Libertarians above) and abandoning them for others who will not disparage us? Really? Are we so naive as to think that no one has ever or will never say anything negative about someone?

Let's ask..... Paula Deen. You remember her? Looks like the ordinary Southern grandma, cooking wonderful food full of love and butter. She once uttered a phrase in the presence of others that offended someone. That statement was brought to light some twenty years later. By a former employee of her brother's business who had filed a lawsuit against what she believed wrongful termination. In an effort to make Paula appear racist, the media rushed out that statement. Food Network cancelled their contract with her, as did Smithfield Foods. Paula made a heartfelt apology (again, in my opinion, unnecessary) on television. Then she went to ground.

Later, we find out that the statement was made in the days just after Paula Deen was mugged. By a black man. She didn't call anyone in her presence a derogatory name. She expressed her anger at the man who had attacked her. Yet twenty years later, a participant in the conversation was so upset by it that she felt she should mention it in court. Twenty years later. And Paula wasn't talking to her. Who gave that woman the right to be offended? Unless she was involved in the mugging, it wasn't directed at her.

Same with the co-hosts of The Five. Were they talking to me? Nope. I didn't even hear the first comment, so I know that didn't bother me. And it shouldn't have even if I did. I did hear the second one. Sorry, "boobs on the ground" was funny. I'd wager the majority of those complaining aren't even considering voting for Conservative candidates in a few weeks. So why the outrage? Who's hurt by this?

I don't really get upset when Al Sharpton calls some Conservatives "tea-baggers." I could care less what he thinks or says. It doesn't bother me when Bill Maher rants about politics: he gets paid to do so. I don't watch his show anyway, so HBO doesn't make money from me for that.

Lesson Seventeen: Think about who gets you steamed. Then think about if you really should even be bothered by what they say at all. Were they talking to you? Are they in a position of power? Unless they are, they hold no sway over your life. Water off a duck's back. If they are an elected official, business owner, etc., you can vote with a ballot or your wallet. Television personalities, celebrities, athletes: they don't deserve the power you give them when you allow them to upset your life.

713 to go...

2 comments:

  1. Right on. I very rarely get pissed at anything anyone says. If someone says something dickish in my general direction, I actually don't Ind, because it gives me license to be a total asshole back and that can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what the WS type said, but Eric's comment didn't offend me, per se. I did think it was off color and unprofessional, but then so is the whole show, along with so many others including Maher's or Stewart's or similiar comments from hosts on other networks.
    I imagine Beckel annoys a ton of people too. I can't be the only one, lol.
    All that said, Eric made a great apology to those he had offended, and that was his choice, too. He's just a very nice normal person who made a comment well within the normal parameters of that show.

    ReplyDelete