Thursday, September 4, 2014

Listen to the music

Listen to the music...


I like words. You might've noticed I use a lot of them. I'm not a "dollar word" person necessarily, but I like "alternate" words. I have a thesaurus app on my tablet and one bookmarked on my PC. I like using "alternate" words to make people think. 

You might or might not know that I'm a published author. Poetry (yikes) from back in my yoot. Nothing as impressive as the current pResident's "Apes and Figs" dealio, but published none the less. 


I love song lyrics. Sometimes it seems as if the writer was in your head (or your heart) when they wrote something that touches you. I stopped listening to "music" years ago, now I just listen to lyrics.

You might or might not know that I'm a recorded songwriter. Only one, and get ready for it.... it was recorded as... a bluegrass tune. I'm good with that, I love me some Allison Kraus and Vince Gill. It was only recorded a few times on demo tapes in Nashville in the early 2000s, by three people looking to make the big time. I got a message about 5 years ago that someone was interested again, but never heard from the artist. Since you didn't see me at the CMAs giving props to all my peeps, nobody got famous with it. 

I hear lyrics in my head in situations where they fit in, not necessarily appropriately. Sometimes the theme from Star Wars, sometimes the Inspector Gadget song. Yeah, I know. I need help, LOL. But usually, I can reference a song lyric to capture how I am feeling or thinking at important moments. 

You probably know my favourite artist is Michael McDonald. Heck, my son is even named after him. The Doobie Brothers stuff was good, his solo work better, and the Motown remakes incredible. 

One of my favourites is the remake of You are Everything. LOVE the old R&B. The Stylists? One of the best. Michael does it justice, for sure.

Just stop. And listen.

Today I saw somebody
Who looked just like you
She walked like you do
I thought it was you

As she turned the corner
I called out your name
I felt so ashamed
When it wasn't you, wasn't you

You are everything and everything is you
You are everything and everything is you
You are everything and everything is you

How can I forget
When each face that I see
Brings back memories
Of being with you

I just can't go on living life as I do
Comparing each girl to you
Knowing they just won't do
They're not you

You are everything and everything is you
You are everything and everything is you
You are everything and everything is you



Doesn't even need music for you to hear the passion. The love. The road not taken. 

Don't miss your turn. 


1 comment: